Halaan farming (Manila clam scientific Lajonkairia lajonkairii) in the Philippines is common on muddy beaches around the country, especially in places near estuaries. Halaan farming can be a profitable aquaculture business if properly managed and with enough clam seeds.
The Halaan Shell
Halaan (scientific name: Lajonkairia lajonkairii) is an edible species of saltwater clam in the family Veneridae, the Venus clams. It is popularly known as punaw shell in Negros and is one of the most economically important clam shells alongside blood cockle or blood clam (Litob in Negros, Tegillarca granosa). Halaan is different from Tulya (Corbicula fluminea) which grows in freshwater.
Common names for the species include Manila clam, Japanese littleneck clam, Japanese cockle, and Japanese carpet s...
The giant freshwater prawn in the Philippines (Macrobrachium rosenbergii), locally known as ulang in Tagalog and Hiligaynon, is a valuable aquatic product that if properly managed, can provide good profit.
The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) has been introducing this valuable freshwater product to fish farmers, but not many Filipinos are aware of how the ulang is properly managed in captivity.
Giant Freshwater Prawn Description
Freshwater prawns can be found in many rivers and lakes in the Philippines but because of habitat loss, catching them from the wild is no longer profitable. The prawn can grow up to 30cm (12inch) in length and can weigh up to a kilo. They are predominantly brownish in color but can vary. Smaller individuals may be greenish and display faint ver...
Growing lettuce at home in aquaponics is a great alternative. Currently, the demands of modern life, as well as the consequent lack of time, often make it difficult to find fresh products in markets to place on our table. Hence, more and more people are interested in growing their own food at home.
But how to do this, if we do not have land to grow our vegetables?
That is why it is a viable option to combine the cultivation of vegetables in hydroponics using water from fish farming as a nutrient medium; So this system known as aquaponics does not require large spaces and can be done at home in patios, garages, roofs, and even balconies.
Imagine, being able to grow your own lettuce, tomatoes, or cucumbers on your balcony!
Of course, starting an aquaponic culture at home requires...
Animal domestication in the Philippines for profit is among the top industries ever since the country was colonized by the Spaniards more than 500 years ago. Animal husbandry and livestock farming are one of the most profitable farm businesses that can even be done in a small backyard without the need for large financial capital.
Backyard animal farming in the Philippines contributes bigger than commercial farms. In fact, of the total swine population, 72.1% were raised in backyard farms while the remaining 27.9% were from commercial farms. For poultry production, the Philippine broiler industry is composed of 20% backyard (fewer than 1,000 birds) and 80% commercial farms. There are reportedly 588 registered poultry farms and approximately 175 meat processors located throughout the coun...
If you are searching for African Hito in the Philippines and want to know how to grow it, you are on the right page.
Everything is now getting expensive and there is also a shortage of supply of food whether you have money to buy it or not. The government, under the newly-elected President Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos, is encouraging people to produce whatever type of food for personal consumption.
Marcos’ focus is on food production and this is the very reason why he, as of now, takes care of the Department of Agriculture (DA). Aside from crop production, fisheries are another important source of food whether it is from the sea or cultured. The government has been suggesting people raise tilapia, milkfish (bangus), catfish (dalag), and catfish (hito) as primary fish species to grow....